There are several causes of dry skin. Dry skin could cause itchiness and irritation. Other factors include aging, overall heath condition and heredity. In the winter, low temperatures and humidity cause dry skin. Several natural remedies are available to cure the condition.
Causes of Dry Skin
Bathing results in removal of oils from the skin which may cause dryness. If you feel that your skin is tight after the bath it could be due to the excessive removal of natural skin oils.
One of the major reasons of dry skin is the frequent application of harsh soaps. Soap acts as an emulsifier and removes the natural oils from the skin. More oil is removed from the skin, if you take bath more frequently. This results in dry skin.
Certain drugs for hypertension, allergies and asthma may cause dry skin. Diseases like eczema, atopic dermatitis, psoriases and hyperthyroidism are the other reasons.
Inadequate use of moisturizers and certain types of clothing may also result in dry skin. Synthetic materials and wool are the main culprits.
Drinking alcohol without drinking enough water can cause dry skin. Alcohol is a diuretic which drains the body of its water content.
Remedies for Dry Skin
- It is essential to keep the body hydrated. Drink lots of water. It is advisable to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
- Add a teaspoon of almond oil to a glass of water and drink it before going to bed.
- Honey is a very good natural moisturizer. Apply honey all over your body and take bath after 15 minutes.
- Cleopatra used to take bath in donkey’s milk. As donkey’s milk may not be available, apply cow’s milk generously all over your body and let it soak for a while, before taking bath.
- Petroleum jelly (vaseline)is a very good moisturizer. You can apply it to your face, hands and feet.
- Glycerin is one of the best known moisturizers. 3-4 tbsp of glycerin can mixed with water in the bathtub.
- Avocado oil is also a very good remedy. You can even make avocado paste and apply it all over your body.
- Use mild soaps. Glycerin soaps would be better.
- Hot water dries up the skin. So take bath in warm water.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are very good for moisturizing the skin. Include a fish like salmon which is rich in omega 3 fatty acids in your diet.
- Apply mashed banana all over your body and take bath after 15 minutes. It can also be used as a face pack.
- For cracked heels banana skin is a very good remedy.
These are some of the causes and natural remedies for dry skin.